Friday, September 10, 2010

Day Thirty Four

Nope. I'm not too embarrassed to admit it. I was wrong. Legs & Back/Ab Ripper is still my least favorite workout. Back & Biceps was close, but nothing can compare to turning your legs into jelly and burning up your back, then being required to hold legs and arms in the air while contracting your midsection until it feels like one large muscle spasm.
      Today was especially rough. First off, My Better Half (MBH) is a day behind, so he did Cardio this morning. Since that's one of the workouts I skipped, I jumped in, too. I'll fess up, I slacked off a little on the exercises requiring legs. But can you blame me? In the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "I should not be doing this first. Why am I doing this first? I gotta do Legs & Back today. I barely survive that when I'm rested and it's my only activity of the day!" But it feels more efficient to do it with someone else. Wise time usage, adds a little competition, and a little humor. (Side note - Too much laughing, however, can have a negative effect on productivity.) Plus, after my last Cardio experience, I knew I could "Bring it" - I just chose a milder form for today. But even the mild version works you over pretty good.
     Secondly, we still have half a container of soy miso in the fridge. It's expensive stuff. Even though we don't like it, I'm determined to use it til it's gone. Somehow. Therefore, lunch was a beef/pepper/onion stirfry with miso/arrowroot gravy. At first, I was all excited. The miso made a nice smooth gravy, adding a little flavor, but certainly nothing unpleasant. Miso has the benefit of being counted as a vegetable, not as a condiment or fat, which are restricted to two tablepoons a day. That meant that at supper, I could put both tablespoons of butter on my serving of butternut squash. Heaven on earth!
     Unfortunately, miso in our family has some...unpleasant soy side effects. (If you are easily disgusted, you may want to skip this paragraph!) During the warmup, I couldn't do the jumping jacks because shaking pent-up gases (and other pent-up, ummm... substances) was proving very uncomfortable. (Soy protein bars have a warning label about their laxative effect for a reason!) Then, during the lifting and lunges, I kept having to take short 'musical' breaks - and then move to the other side of the room! (Anyone who is under the delusion that women don't pass gas is in for a rude awakening upon marriage. We just don't tend to get as excited about it as guys!) All those breaks really cut in to my momentum. MBH is even more soy-sensitive than I, so at supper we agreed it may be a long night. (Gotta love those heart-to-heart dinner chats!)
     Ah well, live and learn. Who knows? Maybe I can have a group dinner sometime and serve miso gravy - that'd use it up fast! (Of couse, it might end the party fast, too!)
~Stick to it!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment