Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day Sixty Seven

Woke up feeling "like poo" as my old college roomie would say, so I opted for Kenpo, low-impact version. I took all the moves and de-intensified them. Open hand instead of fist, low kicks instead of high, fluid movements instead of sharp. It worked so well that I started thinking about the possibilities. One of the downsides of P90X is that it is designed for those already fairly fit. You pay the $100+ cost for a 90 day boost to an already solid foundation. Theoretically, those who need it can't use it, and those who can use it don't need it. (If you don't have an existing workout plan, and are not currently in good shape, the program as designed is too hard for you. If you have a workout background, then you are certainly capable of continuing your previous habits. Though I have enjoyed the DVD's, I could have just started going to the YMCA again and still seen results.)
     But what if you could spread that cost out? What if you could enlarge the target group, using the same DVD's for multiple levels of fitness? Beginners would still need a coach to help them figure out to scale down/alter the exercises, but there are easily five or more levels of intensity. The concepts of muscle confusion and variety are solid and attractive. I think someone at a very low level of fitness could invest in these DVD's and use them progressively for a long time. That's the theory anyway. Now all I need is a guinea pig...
     The upside to the day was that Back and Biceps/Ab Ripper went really well tonight. Not sure if I've gotten that much tougher, or if the ibuprofen I've been taking all day just isn't out of my system yet! My goal is to be able to do one unassisted pullup or chinup after the 90 days. I'm down to a one-loop assistance band, with three weeks to go.
~Stick to it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment