Friday, January 28, 2011

The Value of R, part 1

Math is not one of my strong points, so anything that suggests of combining letters and numbers always impresses me. I did pretty well in addition and subtraction. In fact, I still have some parts of the multiplication tables memorized! (Ok, well, mostly just helpful tips such as "When multiplying nine by ...six...for example...subtract one from six and the result from nine and then put the two numbers together: fifty-four.") Anyway, the point is, I was trying to think of an interesting title for this post and it made me think of math. (I know! What a boring point!)
     I gained some new insight last night about being gracious. What I think of as me being gracious to My Better Half (MBH), he receives as RESPECT - something that men were created to need. At Bible study last night we got to talking about marriage (A group of women sitting around talking about their husbands and marriage! How unusual, right!) and the book "Love and Respect" by Emerson Eggerichs came up. (I feel sorry for him as a kid. A chicken last name and matching initials to boot. He must have developed some character from that!) I had heard of it before, and asked to borrow it. And of course skimmed through the whole thing before finally turning out the lights. (MBH wasn't home to make sure I got my beauty sleep!)
     It's a great book! A little slow for me. (I have a critical nature. Can you tell?) I wanted the three steps (or six steps, as it turned out) to being a good wife and moving on. The first third of the book explains why love and respect are important, how they mutually feed off each other, and gives stories of people helped by the concept. (Interesting but unnecessary. I already want to respect MBH and know it will be good for me in return, I just don't always know how to do it.) The second third is addressed to the husbands on how they can better love their wives. (That part was affirming - I'm not crazy for wanting the things I want, or feeling the things I feel. However, I still skimmed it. I don't need help in figuring out all the things MBH is not doing - I can give him a list all on my own.)
     So just as I was having trouble propping my eyelids open and beginning to think maybe I should save the rest for tomorrow, I got to the final third - the how to be a respectful wife. And along the way, I understood grace a little better, too.
     So how does it work? Wait and see! :) ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment