Sunday, January 23, 2011

A question of food

   Food's just been on my mind lately. I was already pondering it because of certain resolutions made on the occasion of the beginning of a not-old annual occurance. (It is really hard to come up with a synonym for New Year's.) Then it came up at Bible study. Then it came up in a conversation with another friend. As is typically the case after pondering, I came up with an analysis of three dangers to my said resolve:    

  1) Unhealthy eating - The pop, the ice cream, the processed food, etc. This one is probably the easiest for me. (Except maybe the ice cream. Pretty sure that there is an ice cream gene that just hasn't been discovered yet and I have two of them.) Too much soda and I feel sick. I like to cook and fast food is often disappointing. (How come it never looks like the picture? Is the sandwich in the picture made of plastic? Did they have a "Next Top Cheeseburger" contest to find the most photogenic model? These are the types of things that keep me awake at night. Not really.) But it's still there and I still make the wrong choices sometimes.
     1 Corinthians 10:31
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

2) Mindless eating - Why is it that eating helps us think? I'm making a to-do list for the day and dental activity seems to activate the most cranial activity. Or if I'm pondering some question (like McDonalds cheeseburger models) and all of a sudden I'm shocked to discover that not only is there a half a brownie in my hand, I've already eaten the other half! Or I'm bored and trying to figure out what to do, and going to the fridge seems most logical. It appears that a significant part of my subconcious is convinced that the answers to life will materialize in the glow of the fridge bulb.
     2 Corinthians 10:5
"We demolish arguments and every pretention that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

3) Emotional eating - Why is it that eating helps us not think? Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. :) This realization has been many years and twenty pounds in the making. Those girls who ended a bad day with a pint of Ben and Jerry's? I always thought they were someone else. (I was a Haagen-Dazs girl myself.)Sometimes even a Spirit-filled believer forgets they are full.
     Psalm 63:1,5
"O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water....My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods." ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment