Friday, January 21, 2011

Point of life

(I'm not going to apologize for the dreadful lapse between the initial post and this one. Sometimes, life happens. Be glad I have a life!) :)
     I finished "Six Hours One Friday." It was good, but nothing life-changing. For some, it might be. It just wasn't where I'm at. (Probably because I haven't experienced a lot of failure in my past. Doesn't bode well for my future.) I remember reading "Passion and Purity" as a young teen. At the time, I didn't respond very well. I thought some of the advice was crazy, it was unrealistic, and unhelpful. I've never read it since, which is unusual for me. But I suspect it wasn't the author's fault...I just wasn't to the place in my maturity where I understood it. As a young adult, I read "Let Me Be A Woman", also by Elizabeth Elliot, and loved it. As a fiancee, I read "Created To Be His Helpmeet" and soaked it in. But those books came at the right time of life for me. So maybe sometime I'll revisit "Passion..." and get another take on it. 
     Anyway, next in my quest for reading worthwhile books: "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas. It was required reading for premarital counseling, but really recommended for rereading regularly. (Say that ten times fast! I can't.) The premise is that marriage is to make us holy first, and find joy along the way. Convicting!
      All this to get to what I really wanted to post - this quote from it, quoting Liza Mundy:
"'Pay no attention to these tears; they are meaningless. I'm thinking quite clearly; this conversation isn't upsetting me nearly as much as it seems. I'm just fatigued and a little bit stressed and feeling hot!' was what I wanted to say. Because I knew, like most women perhaps, that sometimes tears are no more significant than sweating."
     1 Peter 3:7 NAS - "You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way..."
What a daunting task! :)  

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of sweat, I just learned while subbing at the Clarinda Lutheran School today that athletes and hard workers can sweat more than a quart an hour. That seemed pretty significant to me. Would it be as impressive to say that emotional women can cry over a quart of tears in an hour? Probably both sweating and tears are beneficial to our health...perhaps in smaller amounts than indicated above. PS. I haven't noticed that Stimson men can deal with tears that well. Afraid of getting manipulated or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is most definitely true that an emotional woman can cry more than a quart of tears in an hour. Pretty sure it is a scientific fact that crying has vast health benefits! :) Fortunately (because I think he married the Stimson woman most likely to cry the most) MBH is the Stimson man most capable of dealing with tears. In my extremely biased opinion! :) Much to my chagrin (and relief) he is also not easily manipulated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say yes on the Stimson man most capable of dealing with tears. Questionable that you are most likely to cry. Remember Heather's fan story when she was hot? Check with her. It is interesting that such a nice guy as yours is also unmanipulative. You might have to invent another strategy for manipulation. Haha.

    ReplyDelete