Saturday, July 31, 2010

It all started when...

     One day the two man friends were talking about life, and events, and current pursuits. The one mentioned he was considering starting P90X - a fitness/nutrition program. The other (who happens to be my better half) thought that was pretty cool. So My Better Half (MBH), being a man of action, decides we should do it, too. No word as yet if the friend actually ended up doing it. But we are starting tomorrow.
     Actually, it would be more accurate to say that we started over a month ago, and are just beginning the workout/diet portion of the program tomorrow. We ordered all the equipment: DVD set, pull up bar, exercise bands, push up stands, yoga mats. We did the pre-program fitness test: MBH can do 7 pull ups, I hope to someday be able to lift my feet off the ground. We purchased the necessary extra supplements: protein bars, egg protein powder, whey protein powder, protein vitamins, carb & protein drink powder. We purchased the groceries: swordfish, miso, soba noodles, heart of palm, meatless sausage, egg whites, tofu, quinoa, and a few other things I had never heard of.
     A big part of my faculties have been focused on making the menu work. The nutrition guide comes with a helpful menu plan and recipes! Except swordfish is eight bucks a pound, so we won't be eating that every week. I'm thinking salmon, or maybe tilapia, or cod or something is more likely to be our fish of choice. And except that our small town grocery store doesn't carry arugula (a leafy green of some kind, I'm guessing?) so spinach will have to do. And except we prefer to avoid dairy and soy, so most milk products need to be limited to small doses, and soy nuts are not an acceptable snack. (Not to mention soy nuts don't taste all that great.) And except that we both work away from home and odd hours, so having the luxury of an hour of prep work to cook a gourmet meal three times a day is also...how shall I put this...fat chance. (Where is the section for working couples on a budget in a small town?)
     Come to think of it, following the menu plan is already on its way out. We'll do our best this first week, but I have to admit, I'm not even very confident that it would have lasted that long if I hadn't already purchased the groceries.
     My goals? Jumpstart nutritious eating and regular workouts. Maybe after 90 days it will be a habit. At very least, I hope it makes for a good story. :)
~Stick to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment