Saturday, May 7, 2011

Resolution update

Back in January I established four 2011 resolutions. Thought I'd take a look back on how I'm doing...
     SPIRITUAL - Have a daily quiet time. Well, the daily might be a bit of a stretch, but 4-5 times a week is working. A few (highly recommended) books I've been using:
"A Diary of Private Prayer" by John Baillie. Penned in 1949, with prayers for each morning (Praise/thanks) and evening (confession/supplication) and a couple extra for Sundays.
"The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian. Without bashing men or guilting women, let me just say that I think a wife has the determining role in the climate of a marriage. She chooses to build up her house or to tear it down and prayer is a great way to build it.
"Principles of Spiritual Growth" by Miles Stanford. Written as mentorship letters, each chapter addresses...a principle of spiritual growth! (You didn't see that coming, did you!)
"The 17:18 Series" published by Full Quiver LLC. The coolest Bible study book I've ever found. You word-for-word handcopy books of the Bible on the right-hand pages. Left side is primarily blank, for your notes, study, word definitions, reflections, whatever. Any pace you like, as deep or shallow as you choose.
     EMOTIONAL - I want to be more gracious. This one is a little uncomfortable right now. I'm convicted of some long-standing unforgiveness in my heart. As much as I desire to forgive, humanly, I am finding that I can't. How do you forgive someone who just keeps hurting you? Without going into details to explain, let me just say that this is a friendship I am called to continue. (No, not my husband, family, or even a close friend!) So I find that I rely on God to give me grace for each encounter, and trust in the power of the Holy Spirit to change my heart since I can't.
     MENTAL - Still reading "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas. I decided to underline quotes. And, of course, I couldn't start underlining halfway through the book! So I started over. Still good. :)
     PHYSICAL - Tried Yoga Thursday night and even this morning. (9am - not ideal, so it may not last.) A little bit sore, but glad to be doing something again. I'm aiming (not obsessing) for 1600 calories over five meals per day. So far, so good - I still feel like I'm getting enough food. (That is the determining factor in any diet - not a fan of being hungry.) Did you know that you can eat about 30 cups of raw spinach and still only consume about 300 calories? Think you'd be full? (I have neither tried this, nor recommend it. 30 cups of anything green in one meal is overkill. Just my opinion!)
     ~Stick to it!
     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment