Thursday, April 7, 2011

Stay-at-home...wife?

It's been a mad dash as My Better Half (MBH) decided to move up the ladder, we moved to the big city, I moved through the busy season of my work, and the money moved for taxes, and now I have three weeks left as an employed person and suddenly May is looking very...unmoving.
     "What are you going to DO?" Everyone wants to know, and truth be told, sometimes I want to know just the same. It's been almost a decade of moving, and the thought of stopping is a bit mind-boggling. Still, after all the analysis and logistics and discussion and evaluation - it makes sense to stop.
     Most people have been supportive, encouraging, and affirming as I make this career change. Some have been a bit quizzical, but tolerant of my choice. But a few remain convinced that I don't mean it, shouldn't mean it, and am a bit odd to even try to mean it. You know what I wish I could get in their face about? Why should a woman have to maintain TWO full-time jobs? I'm thankful that stay-at-home moms are beginning to get some support. But why should I have to produce progeny in order to validate a "household management" career?
     (Important footnote here - none of the following is meant to condemn women who work out of actual need or out of personal preferance. But I belong to the large category of those who live above the poverty line and who lack a burning obsession to pursue a career. ) 
     I might not know exactly how I will fill the hours of each day in the future, but I do know that currently, there aren't enough hours IN each day. Phone calls, appointments, errands - all the things that have to be done between business hours, but outside the job hours. (Does that seem a bit unrealistic to anyone else?) Then letters, food preparation, cleaning, paperwork - all the things that get done before business hours, or after job hours. If you want to eat (at least good food, not microwaved leftover casseroles), exercise, spend time with hubby, or do anything else fun, don't plan to sleep much! In my unscientific opinion, women possess an extraordinary tolerance for being overworked.
     (Side note to all who believe that all household tasks should be evenly divided, and careers should be given equal weight, and childcare should be precisely 50/50, etc - Good luck!)
     If my first calling is to serve God, and my second calling is to serve MBH as the second productive half of a team, and if he is serving God by pursuing his calling - then when I am free to manage the household affairs, enabling him to devote himself to God's work, then I am doing an important job. And I refuse to be so masochistic as to excel at that vital work while attempting to maintain an equal level of success in the workforce. Maybe you can do it. Maybe you want to do it. But I choose to stop. Women fought for the right to work. Maybe I want the right not to work.
~Stick to it!

1 comment:

  1. Free to serve. Women who decide not to work outside the home are the major volunteer source of society. You can dabble in your interests and help people out, but be able to have flexibility to be home when Jesse is. It doesn't hurt to be available to spend time with YBH. THAT is a HUUGGGE asset for yourselves and society, too. And the people who get to have your 'free' time will be blessed!!

    ReplyDelete